Friday, September 9, 2011

Hulk Smash, Sorta

Infuriated by not being able to figure out Portal, let alone any of the games on The Orange Box, I wanted something simple. I wanted to shoot something, or smash something. Smash something... hmmm... the lightbulb over my head went off as I knew I had Sega's The Incredible Hulk in that stack of videogames Ray had lent me. That's simple, that's all about smashing. Yeah, baby, Hulk smash!

From viewing the intro, the game is very much based on the 2008 film of the same name. There's Tim Roth as the Abomination, and other lookalike actors in their roles. It's all in place, but at its roots, it is still a Hulk smash game. Or at least it should be.

I got to playing and started smashing and smashing and smashing. But it seemed to be the same old army guys I was smashing and ditto with the walls and vehicles and other various smashables. I soon found that I, as the Hulk, was essentially trapped inside one building. There was some smarts involved in getting out. After a while of trying to jump out, jumping being the Hulk's default flying power, I started getting frustrated.

I mean, this is the Hulk we're talking about, right? Come on, Sega, the Hulk, like Winnie the Pooh, is a monster of very little brain. He should not be forced to puzzle his way out of situations, especially in videogames. His battle cry is "Hulk Smash!" not "Hulk put on thinking cap and figure this thing out."

I was kinda disappointed in Sega's The Incredible Hulk. I may go back to it, but not for a while. In the meantime I will quench my thirst for destruction with Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and turn the PS3 off for now.

No comments: